Our Mission & Vision
We are God’s family – knowing, growing and serving in Christ’s love…
Helping our community to experience Christ!
This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples. John 15:8
Our Core Values
JESUS FIRST: We believe in the supremacy of Christ in all things. Every person is created to be in relationship with God, through Jesus Christ. Life transformation comes by grace through faith in Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit. (Colossians 1:15-18; Ephesians 2:4-5)
EVERYONE TELLS GOD’S STORY: We believe that God uses people to accomplish His purposes on earth, equipping every follower of Christ to fulfill their part of sharing God’s love. (Romans 12:4-5; Acts 1:8)
SPENDING TIME DAILY: We believe that the Bible (The Word of God) and prayer connects us with God and provides guidance for all of life. We turn to these first in every situation. (Hebrews 4:12; Philippians 4:6)
UNITY OF FAMILY: We believe we were created for community. Spiritual transformation happens best when we meet together in small and large groups, providing everyone with the opportunity to worship God as we grow, serve and develop leaders in each generation. (Hebrews 10:24-25, Colossians 3:14).
SHARING GOD’S GOODNESS: We believe God is abundantly generous to all. As we give generously with our time, talents and treasure, we experience joy and blessing as we glorify God and share God’s love to others. (Philippians 4:19; Luke 6:38)
What is a Free Methodist?
The Free Methodist Church views all baptized believers as members of the Body of Christ. We also place a high value on committing to working together with those who have a commitment to the values and practices of a local church.
Ultimately, membership is about belonging to a community of believers for the purpose of:
- Growing in your faith
- Using your gifts to help others grow in their faith
Membership is a high privilege and carries with it both rights and responsibilities. It should not be entered into lightly. Membership is a public declaration to covenant with similarly committed people at a specific location to walk together as Jesus’ disciples.
What’s a “Free” Methodist?
The Free Methodist Church was founded in the United States in 1860 by a group of pastors and lay people who were emphasizing several important beliefs that the Methodist Church did not support.
We are called “free” because we believe in:
- Freedom of all people from slavery; the belief that all people are equal.
- Free seats for all people; in the Methodist church, people who could not afford to rent a place to sit felt less important than those who could. The belief in equality is true in regards to finances as well as race or colour.
- Freedom to worship as the Spirit leads (and not be limited to ‘tradition’)
- Freedom from the slavery of sin – John Wesley taught that we could be free from sin through the sanctifying (making holy) work of the Holy Spirit and the practice of the spiritual disciplines (including prayer, fasting, study of Scripture, and worship)
- Freedom from membership in secret societies (like the Free Masons) who require allegiance to the secret society over allegiance to the church.
1939 August 20-24th of 1939 Eastern Ontario Annual Conference was held and Rev. Barclay Warren was appointed to Barrie
1947 Land was obtained and a church was constructed at 200 Bayfield Street North
1965 Major renovations to the church took place and it was officially dedicated in 1965
1971 Adjacent property was purchased and the Bayfield facility was built ready for use in December 1971
1998 Vision casting began with a new mission statement and process of determining next steps
2001 Last Service at Bayfield Street location was on Sept 8th 2001
2001 Moved to temporary facility at the Trillium Room in the Barrie Event Centre (former Barrie Fair Grounds)
2004 First service at 290 Cundles Rd E March 7th 2004 | Official Opening on April 4th 2004
2006 Joined partnership with Free Methodist Church in Ghana